Thursday, September 29, 2016

Three Remarkable Pawpaws: My Remarks

Back in June I wrote about a pawpaw on the Atwood that was hosting what I referred to as a parasitic twin. Take a look at the pics I posted here to see the parasitic pawpaw twin as it was in June.

Since June, the parasitic twin has hung on tightly but has lost its green color and gained a dark brown color. It also dried out, since I guess the host pawpaw found a way to cut off its nutrients.

On Wednesday this week we had a guest over who used to be an organic farmer (I say "used to be," but not to worry, dear organicists: he hasn't taken up inorganic ways, he's just moved on to profession that doesn't involve farming). We went out to the pawpaw trees and I picked the two remaining pawpaws from the KSU-Atwood: one fruit for him, and the parasitic twin's pawpaw host for me.

Here's the host, sitting on the window sill. The host is the first of the remarkable pawpaws that I'm remarking upon today.

Here's the parasitic twin, sitting on the host, sitting on the window sill. The parasitic twin is the second of the remarkable pawpaws that I'm remarking upon today.

And this evening I picked the biggest pawpaw that the Wells cultivar has produced this year. It's a remarkable pawpaw (the third of the remarkable pawpaws upon which I'm remarking today), mainly because it's probably the biggest pawpaw we've harvested from any of the trees this year, bigger than anything on the Shenandoah and the KSU-Atwood as far as I can tell. And that's remarkable of course since, to put it in terms of cell phone technology, the Wells is probably a 2G pawpaw while the Atwood and Shenandoah are 4G pawpaws. To me, getting such a big pawpaw from the Wells feels kind of like all of a sudden realizing you can browse the internet on a phone like this.

NJ calls dibs on this pawpaw, and all other pawpaws from here on out--as many as it takes to accumulate a cup of pawpaw pulp, which she says we should make into a pawpaw cake for my birthday. More on that later. Meantime, enjoy the pics of this third remarkable pawpaw upon which I'm remarking.




No comments:

Post a Comment