Monday, July 25, 2016

D8, Western Tiger Swallowtail Caterpillar, and Deer in Capitol Reef National Park



Last week I went down to Capitol Reef National Park with a group from church. And I woke up to five deer browsing in our campsite. Here are two of them.

On Friday I went to a family reunion in Provo Canyon and W found a caterpillar, which, by googling "green caterpillar with fake eyes," I've been able to identify as a Western Tiger Swallowtail. I wonder if this type of caterpillar would be up for feeding on pawpaw leaves? It's not the Zebra Swallowtail, which feeds only on pawpaw leaves.



After W did me the favor of letting me take some pics, he ran off and let it go.

It was also sometime around early last week or late the previous week that I noticed D8 was emerging, belatedly. That brings this batch of 20 seeds up to a 75% germination rate. We'll see how D8 does though, since it won't have all that much longer to grow before it starts getting cold.




No comments:

Post a Comment