Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Pawpaw Seedlings: Curly Q and D6



Like I say, I just got back from Germany for a week so have been catching up with what's going on with the pawpaws, including the seedlings. My parents kept them for the week we were gone. You'll see they've leafed out quite a bit.

Interesting to see this one (officially C3 but less formally Curly Q), which had a hard time getting its head out of the ground, now leafing out, but still with the notable effects of having formerly having its head stuck in the ground.


While I was gone, another seed germinated and leafed out, D6. I don't imagine I'll be seeing any more seeds germinate this year, so this is how things stand: 14/20 seeds successfully germinating. That's a rate of 70%. Not as good a rate as G. Matt Davies (Prof of Soil and Plant Community Restoration) at The Ohio State University recently tweeted about: he achieved a germination rate of 100%. But I'm not a professor of soil and plant community restoration, so I'll take 70%, especially for my first try. 

2 comments:

  1. The year 2016 was my first year germinating pawpaw seeds. And that year they broke the surface in early June. This year, none of the seeds has broken the surface. But it still may happen. Last year they didn't come up until mid July.

    ReplyDelete