Thursday, October 25, 2018

A Few Sept and Oct Pawpaw Events

I've been so busy with work and running and fishing in Sept and Oct 2018 that I didn't have time to post as much as I wanted to, during the window between the first pawpaw harvested and the last. But below are a few events, kind of offering some texture to the times.

This year we were very conscientious about writing the name of the cultivar on each pawpaw fruit. It was kind of fun since sometimes the ballpoint pen seemed to bruise the skin more than write on it, such that the bruises were formed in the shape of the names of the cultivars.

Three fallen pawpaws.

One morning I went out and found a pawpaw half eaten on the ground, maybe by a deer or a raccoon? We haven't had any problems with mammals eating any of the other pawpaws. (Usually the mammals leave it to the rolly pollies and slugs.) After the deer or raccoon got to this one, some big black ants basically took up residence on the flesh for a week. They just sat there and didn't move much and gorged themselves. 

At a certain point before the harvest was over we drove up to Jackson, Wyoming, and fished. We brought five pawpaws with us, and some of us wondered if these were the first pawpaws to ever enter the town of Jackson. Or maybe even the first pawpaws to ever enter the state of Wyoming. Then again, maybe there have been many many pawpaws in Wyoming and I just haven't known about it (and I'm not planning on googling it right now to find out).


2 comments:

  1. Hey. I live in Riverton and am planning to plant a few paw paw trees in my yard this year. I have never tasted one but am very intrigued. Any pointers for planting/growing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always mail ordered my trees from One Green World in Oregon. I usually order in January or February before they run out of the most popular cultivars, which are usually the Peterson varieties or the KSU varieties. I request that the trees be delivered in mid-May, and I plant immediately upon arrival. All six trees I've planted have survived except one, which is a pretty good showing!

    ReplyDelete