Sunday, February 4, 2018

An Experiment: Pawpaws and Linocut Prints

For distribution during the 3rd Annual Utah Pawpaw Festival we had wanted to make linoleum cut prints (linocuts), inspired probably by the style of the posters that NJ bought several years ago, from the 2006 and 2007 Ohio Pawpaw Festival (you can see a poster from that festival here). 

But things got crazy before the 3rd Annual Utah Pawpaw Festival and we didn't make any linocut prints. We didn't even buy any materials to make prints.

So for Christmas we got print-making materials and in late January we made our first prints. For NJ it was the first time she had tried linocut. For me it was the first time in awhile. 

We bought three colors: yellow, green, and brown. Plus white, our prints could be up to four colors.

We started by sketching out some designs on paper to see how things would look. Here's the sketch I decided to go with for my first print.

And here's the sketch NJ decided to go with for her first print. (See if you can identify the miscalculation here that would, later, result in our biggest learning experience for the first round.)

We added the yellow and then the green layer.

And then we added the brown. Once I started printing the brown layer onto mine, we decided that we liked mine better without the brown layer, so of the ten prints in my run, I only put brown on half.

Here you can see the print on the top with the brown layer added. And below is a version of the print without the brown layer.

And here's NJ's final print. She only did five prints because once she did her first layer with yellow I realized that I had forgotten (from my halcyon days of print-making) that if you've got writing in your linocut, you need to carve the writing backwards in order to make it print forwards.

While we were letting the prints dry, I made a few additions to this painting, which we bought through the KSL classifieds from a woman who was selling paintings from a repo'ed storage unit in Spanish Fork, formerly owned by a man named Martinez, with several pieces of art with origins in Tombstone, Arizona. This painting is a lot of fun, we think, and it reminds me of the title of Elizabeth Bishop's poem "Large Bad Picture."


Close-up of one with the brown layer, looking forward to the 4th Annual Utah Pawpaw Festival as you can see from the title.

Close-up of one with only yellow and green, as I was still getting my sea legs on the question of how to line up the layers, so this one is a little more off-set than I had meant for it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment