Sunday, May 8, 2016

Pawpaw Clusters--May 8, 2016

Just so no one thinks that the only thing I think about is pawpaws, here's a pic from a trip I took to a southern Utah town this weekend. I drove 4.5 there on Friday night, and then 4.5 hours back to our town in more northern Utah. As I walked the town in southern Utah, I saw this rock garden featuring tons of petrified wood. On the drive, I listened to Wilco's album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot ten times. That was the only music I listened to, except for the Jayhawks's Tomorrow the Green Grass, once.

Okay, enough about that. Now back to the pawpaws.

It's not the case that all the flowers have bloomed yet. You can see the unopened flower bud on the right side of this pic. But some of the flowers have bloomed and their petals already fallen and have turned into fruit, as you can see from the left side of this picture. What a nice (albeit still small) six-fruit cluster of pawpaws! This is the Wells.


Pawpaw cluster with wheel well in background.

It's been a rainy Mothers Day all day today. 




A few things I like about this series of pics (beginning with the present and continuing until the scenery changes): the pawpaws of course but also the rainwater glaze and reflection of the branches and flowers on the flower petal. Also, the drop of water on the leaf to the immediate left of the pawpaw cluster.





Looking at these pics, I'm realizing there are still a lot of flowers on the trees. These days when I look at the pawpaws, I'm distracted by the fruit clusters.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live in Michigan and have two paw paws that have the same type scale insect. What was your remedy? We'd appreciate your help!! Thank you!!
    Stephanie 616-304-1646

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, Thanks for your question on the scale insects [http://expatpawpaw.blogspot.com/2016/05/pawpaw-pests-scale-insects-on-asimina.html]

      In the subsequent post, "Gnarled Pawpaw Fingers" [http://expatpawpaw.blogspot.com/2016/05/gnarled-pawpaw-fingers.html] I mention that this year we picked the scale insects off by hand. The first two days, we picked off two big batches of the scales. And then for about the next week I looked at the pawpaws and removed between two and five each day. After that, I couldn't find any more. And I haven't seen any in a long time now, but of course the big leaves may be covering some of them. I emailed with a horticulturalist who has worked with pawpaws, and although he hadn't heard of scale insects on pawpaw, he said: "Personally, I wouldn't worry about them too much. Most of the time, scales don't cause problems for plants. You can pick them off, if you'd like."

      Delete