Monday, August 24, 2015

The Biggest Pawpaw Orchard in Utah?


It was about this time I conceived the bold and arduous project of arriving at moral perfection. I wished to live without committing any fault at any time; I would conquer all that either natural inclination, custom, or company might lead me into.
--Benjamin Franklin



Benjamin Franklin conceived of achieving the "bold and arduous project" of attaining moral perfection. There are other projects that are bold and arduous and would seem just about as impossible. For instance, tracking down every pawpaw tree in Ohio or Virginia--undertaking that project would be bold and arduous and impossible.

But there are other states in the United States where it would be bold and arduous but not impossible to track down every pawpaw tree that lived in the state. Utah, far from the home range, just may be among those states.

Over the past week, I conceived of that bold and arduous project. I already knew where four pawpaws lived. Certainly, I thought, with just a knowledge of the pawpaws in my own yard, I might have already located around a quarter of the pawpaws in Utah. But I began doing a little investigating, and I talked to a professor at a local university, from whom I learned about some pawpaws that were planted in 2012 (the same year as my Shenandoah and KSU-Atwood) near Spanish Fork. I got the location and permission to go look at them.

I was surprised when I got there to see how many had been planted: 32, as far as I could tell, but 12 were dead. So that's a pawpaw orchard of 20 trees. Five times more extensive in terms of trees than my pawpaw orchard.

As you'll see in the photograph above, we drove down a gravel and dirt road and then needed to stop because there was some irrigation going on. We got out of the vehicle and ran through the water, hoping to find the pawpaws.



The scene seemed far from the pawpaw habitat you would see in the East, for instance in Virginia where we used to forage for pawpaws. And the fires in California were mucking up the air, interfering with visibility, as smoke was traveling hundreds of miles on the wind.


We walked along a canal.


And past fields





Finally, we arrived at a fenced in place and opened the gate.

Inside, we saw rows of corn.

And we also found the pawpaws! I was so surprised to learn of all these pawpaw trees out in the middle of the dry fields near Spanish Fork.

Most of the trees, or twigs, had the name of their cultivar still attached. But I recalled that the professor I had talked to mentioned that most of the trees had their grafts fail due to rough conditions, so the root stock had sent up new growth. Here was a Sunflower cultivar, or at least what was formerly a Sunflower, before the graft failed and the unpedigreed root stock undertook the bold and arduous project of growing here.

And here was a Shenandoah

And then a non-cultivar

Here was one of the more robust specimens. I've been talking about these as "trees" but that word isn't quite right.



Our son W stands next to one of the trees.

To give perspective, the pawpaw orchard is in the foreground, in front of my family, an assortment of twigs hanging onto two or three or in some cases ten leaves. Behind my family, you can see a persimmon orchard, which is thriving more than the pawpaw orchard.



The California fires did make the sunset look nice.





After looking around the pawpaw orchard, we went and looked at the persimmon orchard. NJ and I used to forage persimmons in Virginia also, even if pawpaws were our number one fruit.



This persimmon was the Prairie Gold cultivar. It seemed like the most robust of the persimmons. It's name fit the environment.

Persimmon tree with prickly pears


We moved on, looking at the prickly pears. Thinking about pawpaws and prickly pears growing together seems strange, like imagining a baby opossum being separated from its mother and raised by a family of gila monsters. 


There was also some agave




It was time to leave, and we walked back past the corn and to the gate as the sun set.







Back through the irrigation water






So as of late August 2015, the tally of pawpaws in Utah that I have seen: 20 in the biggest orchard, and 4 in our orchard. But as NJ pointed out, our orchard of four is bigger than the orchard of 20, and that's true in terms of biomass.

If there's anyone else out there with pawpaws growing in their Utah yard, I'm hoping to hear from you.


16 comments:

  1. I planted two pawpaws (Sunflower & Mango) last spring in my backyard in Herriman. They seem to be coming back well this spring for their second season, I've even got a couple blossoms coming in on my Sunflower tree, the wind blew the only blossom off my Mango tree a few weeks back. Add two more to your list of Utah pawpaws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear! Looking forward to hearing reports on fruit in about three or four years!

      Delete
  2. I have 1 very healthy, beautiful, 8 ft paw paw in my front yard that miraculously has produced 6 fruit this year without a polinator. I live in Pleasant Grove.the tree is 6 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Self-fertile? Any idea on what cultivar it is? Did you plant this one yourself or did you move into a place that already had a pawpaw tree in the yard?

      Delete
  3. I've got 4 Pawpaws in my yard, a prolific, a rebecca's gold, and two field grown saplings. I'm in Salt Lake. This year is the first year that there is fruit on both the named cultivars. I've never had a Pawpaw before, only a few weeks until I get to try one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear about these four pawpaws in SLC! It's been a few weeks so I imagine you've try pawpaws by now (or are about to harvest). If you have a chance, let me know what you think.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your pawpaw orchard!
    I have a few pawpaw trees in Payson(5 total).

    I have one seedling from Raintree that is 5 years old. It bloomed for the first time this year but I don't have a pollinator for it.

    There is also a small Potomac in its second year.

    A seedling that grew back from the rootstock of a failed Wabash graft. I don't know what happened it was growing like a weed but didn't make it over the winter. The good news is that the rootstock is also growing like crazy.

    Finally I ordered some fruit from rocky point farms last year that are supposed to be Peterson varieties. I believe it because the fruit was larger and tastier than the fruit we got from integration acres. I started a couple dozen the seeds and planted the two best growers.

    It looks like you guys are in Provo? Maybe next spring if you are still in the area I could use some pollen. Thanks Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. Excited to hear about your own pawpaw orchard in Payson. Five pawpaw trees is the most I've heard of anyone having in Utah. It's as many as we have in our yard, and then plus fifteen seedlings growing in containers right now. In any case, happy to share pollen in the spring. Best to contact me at brr29@yahoo.com. You can also contact me through my Twitter account: https://twitter.com/ExpatPawpaw

      Delete
  5. Why an Ontario naturalist wants to Make Pawpaws Great Again

    The once-popular fruit faded into obscurity in the 20th century. Now Dan Bissonnette is trying to bring it back
    Published on Feb 09, 2017 by Daniel Sellers

    http://tvo.org/article/current-affairs/climate-watch/why-an-ontario-naturalist-wants-to-make-pawpaws-great-again

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have two pawpaw trees in Logan UT, now 2 yrs old. They're planted at the edge of our Rain Garden. The varieties are Peterson PawPaws: Susquehanna and Shenandoah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! We've got those cultivars also. The Shenandoah is starting its fifth year and the Susquehanna is starting its second year.

      Delete
  7. Aloha. I live 7 miles southwest of Logan, in the bottom of Cache Valley, the coldest part of the valley. It is usually 10 degrees colder than nearby Logan at night time in Winter. I have a beautiful seedling that is about 10 years old that I have grown in the dense shade of a very large flowering crab apple tree. It bloomed for the first time last year. I was so excited, I cut down the crab apple tree to give it full sunshine. It does get shaded in the last afternoon, since it's on the east side of my A-frame house. The tree is beautiful and grew like a weed last summer. It is approximately 8' tall. It's very healthy. It survived -31 below temperatures this winter. The paw paw seeding is amazingly self-fertile, since one of the two blossoms produced one fruit. It barely ripened in mid October and had the fragrance and taste of pineapple. Now I have 14-15 named varieties of paw paws growing on the east side of my house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure would like to taste some local Pawpaw this season. Anyone have a bumper crop that wants to sell me some? I'm not going to have my own fruit for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would also be willing to trade some fancy fertilizer for fruit as well. I work for a neat local fertilizer company.

      Delete
    2. Hi Landon, you can email me at brr29@yahoo.com
      I can probably spare a fruit or two.

      Delete
  9. I am glad I found this, I learned about PawPaws this last year and gave it a go with planting them. I have never tasted one but they sound good!! I live in St. George and have 8 growing. With the hot summer this last year two look dead, bit they are still green under the bark, so I am hoping they are dormant. Has anyone had pawpaw's from their trees yet? Anyone down here in the south with any? I would love to connect if you do. mcgarrenflack@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete